I am so obsessed with rice and beans. For almost every meal in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico, I included rice and beans. I couldn’t get enough! Literally no way for me to get sick of it. Everywhere we would go, I would be on the hunt. After each meal ranking it with the other restaurants that I had already tried it at.
It’s for sure a FAVE.
On one of my trips to Puerto Rico, I actually dragged my whole family out for rice and beans. We were staying in an Air BnB in Condado and I found this restaurant with great reviews that was only 7 minute walk away called La Casita Blanca. We are walking for 10 minutes and I’m not sure where it is, I feel like we went too far and didn’t turn on the correct street. So we pull out the GPS and it says we are still 30 minutes away because apparently I looked at the ETA for car instead of walking. Sorry family haha! Oops! So we still walked all the way there and had some amazing food and exceptional service. But, my family was not too happy about the almost completely uphill walk. Hey, sometimes you gotta work for your food haha.
So needless to say, I will go to great lengths (literally) for some good rice and beans. This recipe that I am going to share with you is a combination of all my favorite kinds of rice and beans. It sure does the trick for me, so I really hope you like it! It incorporates some awesome fresh ingredients. I like to make it when I’m getting that travel bug and wanna feel like I’m back in Costa Rica or off on an island somewhere (preferably accompanied by a Piña Colada) .
Pineapple Coconut Rice and Beans
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple
- 1 can black beans
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime (add half of the lime juice first and then add more to taste)
- Chopped cilantro and/or green onions (for garnish)
- Dice onion and heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and saute about 3 minutes. Rinse the rice under cool water while its cooking. Add the ginger and saute for 30 seconds. Add the rice and keep stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, broth, salt, and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. You can always add more water and continue to cook if the rice isn't done all the way.
- While the rice is cooking, chop up the pineapple into bite-size pieces.
- When the rice is done, add beans, lime juice, cashews and pineapple. Let cook until everything is warm. Serve with diced avocado, cilantro and/or green onions on top for the best looking bowl of rice you've ever had. Enjoy!!